Yorebridge House is a former Head Master’s House and the building across the courtyard is the former Grammar School. The House was built in 1850 and the School was built in 1848, however it has been the site of Yorebridge Grammar School since the 1600’s. There have been several buildings on this site, over time. The school was founded by local man, Anthony Besson, in 1601, and was free except for a ‘cockpenny’ paid at Shrovetide. By 1879 the boys were paying five shillings a quarter, except for those who fetched and carried wood and water for the Headmaster.
It is written that the Headmaster in 1845 was fond of fishing, and not so keen to educate the boys – he would neglect their school work and then punish them when they did not do well. The school admitted men and boys of all ages, of all walks of life, including local shepherds and famers. By 1919, it was decided that girls may attend Yorebridge Grammar School.
Between 1971 and 2006, the buildings were occupied by the Head Office of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, before being bought by the present ourselves, David & Charlotte Reilly in September 2006.
For eighteen long months we extensively refurbished the house to create a luxury hotel and restaurant. The Headmaster’s house comprises seven bedrooms, three of which have their own private terrace with hot tub.
The School house renovation was completed in 2010, giving the hotel an additional four bedrooms, two with hot tubs, one of which is set against the banks of the river Ure.
In 2013, a 12th room was created in the form of The Barn. The Barn is located five minutes from Yorebridge House in the heart of the village of Bainbridge; it gives our guests the option to enjoy their own space, whilst still being able to enjoy the facilities at Yorebridge House.
The hotel is set in five acres of land and is flanked by two rivers, the Ure and the Bain.